OLD COURTHOUSE ROAD CORRIDOR
***A Community's Focus on Safety***
(a residential, 25mph school zone community in Vienna VA)
Proposal Route 432- Wolf Trap Connector
30' Diesel Fuel Connector Bus (seats 29 people)
Metro Stations served: Spring Hill (Silver)
Hours operated: Weekdays, Rush hour service, runs every 40 minutes
4 June 13 - Oppose Option 1
22 April 13 -- Bus Route 432 is now an "optional route" which means it is not viable. Based on the meeting last night, Fairfax County will be looking at Gosnell, 123, Beulah, Trap, 267, 7, Tyco, Spring Hill, 7, Gosnell.
A Kindergarten's First Day at Westbriar Elementary School
This video was suppose to document the first day of kindergarten for one of the students at Westbriar Elementary School. What they also capture is motorists disregarding the Crossing Guard's whistle, scream, and signal to stop for crossing children to Westbriar Elementary School putting the Crossing Guard, children, and community at risk. This is one of the reasons why traffic calming on Old Courthouse Road is crucial for the community's safety.
Like streets in most of the surrounding neighborhoods, Old Courthouse Road is clearly ill-suited for any type of bus service. It is riddled with blind curves and portions are prone to flooding. Sidewalks in many areas are substandard or are missing entirely, including some near Westbriar Elementary School. Moreover, I have yet to find a neighbor who even wants bus service in our neighborhood. At a time when federal sequestration cuts threaten the pocketbooks of your constituents and the tax base of our county, it is lunacy to waste money creating bus routes that are unwanted, unsafe, and would be nothing but a drain on financial resources at a time we can ill-afford such waste.
Luci W., Country Club Dr. Other Testimonial
Why should our community oppose Route 432 on Old Courthouse Road, Creek Crossing Road and East Street - Wolf Trap Connector proposal?
1. I am very surprised by this proposal of a "park and ride" route for the Silver line. I went to the Planning Commission meetings from 2009 to 2011 on Comprehensive Plan for Tysons re-development. This concept of "park and ride" and our community, specifically Old Courthouse Road were NOT part of Tysons re-development. I believe it is misleading or even misrepresentation for Fairfax County to advertise, promote, market to the public the whole concept of "imagine people not cars" when it will be bringing and routing more buses in the surrounding communities of Tysons. Is this the result of poor planning? poor design?
2. SAFETY ISSUE - Once a bus stops, everything behind it stops, which aggravates the commuters, which means they rush even faster in their vehicles or they go around the stopped vehicles. All you have to do is stand at crossings and observe commuters go around stopped Fedex trucks, mail truck, trash pick up trucks, even the Crossing Guard.
3. SAFETY ISSUE - Buses will not have enough reaction time to stop at many of the dangerous curves, hills, slopes on the 2-lane road with sight distance issues.
4. SAFETY ISSUE - On 6 May 2011, I spoke with Mr. Randall White from Countywide Transit Services Coordinator, Transit Services Div at Fairfax County Department of Transportation. During this conversation, he said that Old Courthouse Road is not a good bus route, he "added several more concerns to that list based on recent observations of field conditions". Mr. White also stated missing infrastructure, geological (yes, this community sits on a large slab of stone so when a FEDEX truck passes by, the entire house shakes as evidence of the picture attached) as well as sight distance issues on the curve going down the hill from Gosnell has a blind spot (dog leg right) before the intersection of Old Courthouse Road and Westbriar Ct/Rd, another is the upward hill/curve on Old Courthouse Road and Creek Crossing.
5. SAFETY ISSUE - Our community has started, researched, and will pursue other funding resources along with VDOT's Safe Routes to School, a federally funded, state conducted program to bring safety to children who walk and bike to Westbriar ES at the same time reinforcing healthy habits. I have already spoken with SRTS coordinator Robert Williams in Richmond and District Coordinators. Research shows traffic pollution has adverse effects on public health specifically on children, elderly, and people with pulmonary, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. Below is an excerpt from Safe Routes to School and Traffic Pollution, Get Children Moving and Reduce Exposure to Unhealthy Air, published in June 2012, page 6 –
"Common types of traffic pollution include particle pollution, such as fine and ultrafine particulate matter; nitrogen oxides (NOx); hazardous air pollutants (HAPs), including carcinogens such as benzene and formaldehyde; volatile organic compounds (VOCs); carbon monoxide (CO); and polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). In addition, two of these types of traffic pollutants, nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds, produce ozone (O3) when they mix in the presence of sunlight. [See page 8 for additional information.] Results of scientific studies have shown that short- and long-term exposure to these emissions may cause adverse health effects, particularly in sensitive populations, such as children, the elderly, low-income populations and individuals with pre-existing medical conditions including asthma or cardiovascular disease.
2013 VIENNA VA IN THE NEWS
SEE something, SAY something...
WHAT IS DIESEL FUEL, DIESEL FUEL EMISSIONS?
HOW WILL DIESEL FUEL AFFECT OUR COMMUNITY?
How Does it affect our children, the elderly and people who have respiratory(asthma), cardiovascular diseases?
There have been many research studies that have found that Diesel Fuel = Carcinogens = Cancer. Below are some links and resources on Diesel Fuel, Diesel Fuel Emissions Effects on People, Carcinogen. You can search on the web for your own circumstance. It will affect all of us within a half mile radius since we all breathe the same air.